Chatkit is designed to make it as simple as possible to add chat to your app. It lets you add 1-1 and group chat to your app, along with typing indicators, file attachments and storage, user online presence and a flexible permissions system.
Our powerful API and SDKs allow you to build a multitude of different chat features quickly while being flexibile enough to suit many use cases, for example:
- Adding 1-1 and group chat features in your app
- Sending, receiving and storing photo files in a photography app
- Player to player chat and online presence in your multiplayer game
- Live customer support channels with typing indicators to see when users are engaged
- Dating app with private chat rooms and message read indicators
In addition to the core features of creating rooms, users and messages, Chatkit also provides:
- Private and public rooms - Control which users have access to a room.
- Presence updates - Get updated when users change their online/offline status.
- Files - Upload and download files from rooms and attach them to your messages.
- Permission system - Flexible control on what users can do and access.
- Typing indicators - Receive events when users start or stop typing in rooms.
- Read cursors - Keep track of the most recently read message ID for each member of a room.